treatment icon

Fungal Cream

Dr Karen Martin
Reviewed by Dr Karen MartinReviewed on 19.10.2023 | 1 minute read

Antifungal creams are sometimes called fungal creams, and are used to treat fungal infections. The creams are mainly used for skin and vaginal infections, whereas tablets are usually used for more widespread skin and internal infections. Different antifungal creams are used for different types of skin and vaginal infections, so we’ll explain some of them in detail, and their different uses.

Doctor’s advice

Names of antifungals

Drug names for the different over-the-counter antifungals include: butenafine, clotrimazole, ketoconazole, miconazole, tolnaftate, tioconazole, and terbinafine. Some of these come as a combination cream with hydrocortisone in them because the hydrocortisone can be used to help reduce redness, inflammation and at times itching. These combo products require a prescription.


Clotrimazole is indicated for athlete’s foot, ringworm, or sweat rash but you might need the one with hydrocortisone if there is a lot of redness. It’s also available in vaginal formulations as creams and combination packs with vaginal tablets. Clotrimazole cream is safe to use in pregnancy and breastfeeding.


Ketoconazole comes as a shampoo which is used for dandruff and also as a wash for pityriasis versicolor. Here at Healthwords we prefer the shampoo over the cream for pityriasis versicolor.

Was this helpful?

Was this helpful?

This article has been written by UK-based doctors and pharmacists, so some advice may not apply to US users and some suggested treatments may not be available. For more information, please see our T&Cs.
Dr Karen Martin
Reviewed by Dr Karen Martin
Reviewed on 19.10.2023
App Store
Google Play
Piff tick
Version 2.26.4
© 2024 Healthwords Ltd. All Rights Reserved