treatment icon

Vaginal Dryness - How to treat?

Dr Roger Henderson
Reviewed by Roger HendersonReviewed on 29.04.2024 | 3 minutes read

Vaginal dryness is a common problem that many women have at some point in their lives. It can affect women of all ages, but it is far more common in women who are post-menopausal. It affects around 2 in 10 women under the age of 50. The symptoms of vaginal dryness can cause you to feel sore or itchy in and around your vagina. You may also feel pain or discomfort during sex and may need to pee more often than usual. Many of the symptoms of vaginal dryness can also be mistaken for other common infections such as thrush and urinary tract infections. Vaginal dryness can also increase your risk of recurrent urinary tract infections (UTIs).

Should anyone avoid using over the counter vaginal dryness treatment?

If the vaginal dryness has been present for a few weeks or is affecting your daily life, even after a trial of over-the-counter treatment, then it would be worth a visit to your doctor. If you are experiencing any symptoms that may not fit with vaginal dryness such as unusual discharge or irregular bleeding from your vagina (in between your periods or after sex) then it would also be worth a visit to see your doctor to discuss in more detail. If your doctor thinks that vaginal dryness is related to hormonal changes, they may discuss the options of prescribed treatments, as some of the over the counter medicines would be less likely to help.

Healthwords pharmacists' top tips

There are three main types of treatments for vaginal dryness, here we will go through the options and hopefully make clear which would be the most suitable for you.

  1. The first type or products are an over-the-counter vaginal moisturiser which are applied every few days to moisturise and keep vaginal tissues healthy. They are long-lasting moisturisers that help alleviate the discomfort associated with vaginal dryness and replenish vaginal moisture. They can be good for people who experience discomfort intermittently or throughout the day.
  2. The second type of products are vaginal lubricants which are to be applied during sexual activity to alleviate any discomfort during intercourse. This over-the-counter option is suitable for people who only experience discomfort during intercourse.
  3. The final option is a prescription-only medicine and therefore requires speaking to your doctor about it. This is a low-dose vaginal hormonal (estrogen) cream, tablet or ring, to treat vaginal tissues. It is only suitable for post-menopausal women, due to a result of reduced estrogen. Systemic hormone therapy pills/patches can be used with a low-dose vaginal estrogen treatment if vaginal dryness and related symptoms persist.

When to see your doctor?

As we discussed earlier, if you have unusual symptoms or aren't clear on the cause of – it would be best to get further advice. If the symptoms are severe and affecting your life (such as impacting your sex life, relationships, or ability to do normal activities of daily living) then it would be best to discuss further with your doctor.

Was this helpful?

Was this helpful?

Dr Roger Henderson
Reviewed by Roger Henderson
Reviewed on 29.04.2024
App Store
Google Play
Piff tick
Version 2.28.0
© 2024 Healthwords Ltd. All Rights Reserved