Please select the country or location you would like to see content from.
country picker icon
article icon


Hay fever – when to see your doctor

Written by Healthwords's team of doctors and pharmacists based in UK | Updated: 26.01.2023 | 1 min read

If you’ve tried over-the-counter pharmacy products and you’re not getting on top of your symptoms, book an appointment with your doctor. They will assess your symptoms and what you’ve tried already, and work out the best solution for you.

They may prescribe a stronger antihistamine tablet or steroid nasal spray. You should also see your doctor if you’ve been on antihistamine tablets for three months or more – they may advise you to change the brand or try another treatment.

What if I'm pregnant?

If you are pregnant, you should try drug-free treatments first. Antihistamine tablets and steroid nasal sprays may be an option after a discussion about any risks with your doctor.

When should I see my doctor more urgently?

You should see your doctor urgently if your asthma is made worse by an allergen, or if you don’t have an asthma diagnosis, but are wheezing, short of breath, or have a cough for more than three weeks.

What if its not hay fever?

You may also want to see your doctor if you have any doubt about your diagnosis, or it doesn’t seem to fit a particular pattern. Other allergens can trigger a runny nose or itchy eyes, and this may be something to consider if you can’t see a pattern, or you are suffering symptoms all year round. House dust mite, animal dander, and mould are a few common ones.

Was this helpful?

Was this helpful?

Newsletter icon
Subscribe to our Newsletter
to get monthly notified about our latest health and wellness topics.
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the Healthwords Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of the newsletter subscription at any time.