article icon

Hay fever – when to see your doctor

Dr Karen Martin
Reviewed by Dr Karen MartinReviewed on 19.10.2023 | 1 minute read

If you’ve tried over-the-counter pharmacy products and you’re not getting on top of your symptoms, book an appointment with your doctor. They will assess your symptoms and what you’ve tried already and work out the best solution for you.

They may prescribe a stronger antihistamine tablet or steroid nasal spray. You should also see your doctor if you’ve been on antihistamine tablets for three months or more – they may advise you to change the brand or try another treatment.

Doctor’s advice

What if I'm pregnant?

If you are pregnant, you should try drug-free treatments first. Antihistamine tablets and steroid nasal sprays may be an option after discussing any risks with your doctor.

When should I see my doctor more urgently?

You should see your doctor urgently if your asthma is made worse by an allergen or if you don’t have an asthma diagnosis but are wheezing, short of breath, or have a cough for more than three weeks.

What if its not hay fever?

You may also want to see your doctor if you have any doubt about your diagnosis or it doesn’t seem to fit a particular pattern. Other allergens can trigger a runny nose or itchy eyes, and this may be something to consider if you can’t see a pattern or you are suffering symptoms all year round. House dust mites, animal dander, and mold are a few common ones.

Was this helpful?

Was this helpful?

Dr Karen Martin
Reviewed by Dr Karen Martin
Reviewed on 19.10.2023
App Store
Google Play
Piff tick
Version 2.26.5
© 2024 Healthwords Ltd. All Rights Reserved