Lanacane is an anaesthetic cooling cream. The active ingredient is benzocaine. It is formulated to provide fast relief from itching and irritation from conditions such as insect bites and stings, nettle stings, everyday cuts and scrapes, skin chafe, external vaginal and external anal (back passage) itching.
Benzocaine works below the skin surface to numb sensory nerves, to stop itching and irritation fast and eliminate the urge to scratch.
- Lanacane is for external use on the skin by adults and children aged 12 years and over.
- Apply the cream to the affected area.
- You can repeat the treatment as needed up to 3 times daily for up to one week.
- If symptoms persist for more than one week, consult your doctor.
- Active Ingredient: 3% w/w Benzocaine.
- Also contains Chlorothymol, Diethylene Glycol Monoethyl Ether, Docusate Sodium, Perfume, Glycerol, Glycerol Monostearate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, Sulfonated Castor Oil, Trolamine, water, Zinc Oxide.
Warnings and Restrictions
Medicines are not always suitable for everyone.
Before you use Lanacane, you should consult your doctor if you have general itching all over your body.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Do not use Lanacane if you are pregnant or breastfeeding without first consulting a doctor.
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking any medicine.
Driving and using machines
There are no effects on the ability to drive and use machines.
Important information about some of the ingredients of Lanacane:
Lanacane contains sulphonated castor oil, which may cause skin reactions.
Do NOT use Lanacane:
- if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to benzocaine or to any of the other ingredients in this product, or to any other local-anaesthetics (butyacaine-and procaine), to para-aminobenzoic acid, parabens or paraphenylenediamine, or to commercial hair dyes. (See patient information leaflet for the full list of ingredients.)
- if you are under 12 years of age
- on large areas of skin, skin rash, sunburn, or infected or broken skin
- if you have a slow or irregular heartbeat
- if you have a history of, or are suspected to have abnormal blood pigment.
Speak to your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking any other medications.
- Store at room temperature (below 25°C}.
- Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
- Do not use after the expiry date which is stated on the packaging and on
the seal of the tube. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
- Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medicines no longer required.
- These measures will help to protect the environment.