Selsun Shampoo is a medicated shampoo used to treat dandruff and seborrhoeic dermatitis (a greasy, crusting, itching scalp caused by excess oil).
It works against dandruff in two ways:
- by reducing greasiness of the scalp
- by slowing down the growth of the layer of skin cells on the scalp that cause dandruff.
- Not recommended for children under 5 years.
- Children aged 5–14, adults and elderly: Apply liberally twice weekly for two weeks, then once weekly for the next two weeks.
- Thereafter, use only as often as necessary to control the condition.
Each 100ml of shampoo contains 2.5 g of the active ingredient Selenium Sulphide (selenium disulphide Ph. Eur).
The other ingredients are bentonite, titanium dioxide, citric acid, sodium dihydrogen phosphate dihydrate, glyceryl monoricinoleate S, monoethanolamine lauryl sulphate, Empigen BB, perfume, sodium chloride, puriﬁed water.
Warnings and Restrictions
Possible side effects:
Like all medicines, Selsun Shampoo can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
Side effects may include:
- Skin rash or hives.
- Irritation or sensitisation of the skin or scalp, sometimes described as a burning sensation.
- Increase in the amount of normal hair loss.
- Discolouration of hair, which may be avoided by thoroughly washing the hair after treatment.
- Oiliness or dryness of hair and scalp.
- Rarely, blistering can occur, especially if the shampoo is kept in contact with the hair or skin for longer than the recommended duration.
- If any of the side effects become serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaﬂet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
For external use only.
Keep out of sight and reach of children.
Do not store above 25°C.